Sunday 8 May 2011

A beginning...

First of all, I'm not going to say who I am, this isn't a personal blog except insomuch as its me that has found these little snippets.

What is the point of it then? To ask pointless rhetorical questions? And then to heap rhetorical questions on top of them?

Not so much, it's more a question of posting snippets from cases, reports, other legal documents that I find amusing or eccentric. Of which there are a great deal, I had been posting some on Facebook and Twitter but those platforms have their respective limitations, namely brevity and boring non-lawyers. So a new platform was necessary... now whether this actually attracts any interest is another thing altogether and it may be that these amusing fragments just wander off to die quietly in the electronic æther of the web but I hope not.

Inspiration for this comes from the collections known as The Miscellanies at Law of which there were three volumes published by the late Robert Megarry VC. Those deal principally with English cases and I suspect much of the material from that jurisdiction has already been mined out. Whether that's the case for the jurisdiction in which I reside and work (which I'm sure will quickly become evident) I doubt. At least I know of nothing of the sort covering the country in which I reside. Which is not to say that content will be exclusively from here (wherever that may be, ah the suspense).

I wish I could end this beginning this with a pithy latin phrase, but that language is becoming ever more distant from the mind of the legal profession, I really could do with a dictionary of legal quotation if a reputable version of such a thing exists... nor, drat it, can I think of a good French case to quote, except perhaps the one about banning shooting dwarves from cannons on the grounds of human dignity... must find that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment